My specialty is to be able to help keyboard and guitar players play creatively by ear, without dependence on music or the need to reproduce the melody line. This is hugely beneficial when it comes to being able to respond to the variety of atmospheres that can be experienced in a worship context.
You can pick up skills such as:
- Hearing a tune and being able to play it without music
- Playing a song using its ‘chord structure’ without having to reproduce the melody
- Playing a song melodically
- Accentuating the rhythmic feel of a song and making it ‘come alive’
- Playing a given song with a variety of ‘moods’ – from light and delicate to strong and thunderous
- In a worship context, learning to sense and respond to the different atmospheres of the Holy Spirit
- How to do song introductions and endings
- How to accompany spontaneous worship
- How to accompany prophetic songs
- How to create and sustain different atmospheres instrumentally
- How to transition smoothly between songs of different types
- How to change key smoothly within a song
- Understanding how chords are grouped and related in any given key
- Basic sight reading and music theory
With guitar I can give you a good working knowledge of all basic chords, strumming and picking styles. Later Bar Chords can be learned which will give you the ability to play confidently in any key.
If you live in Tauranga you can receive music tutoring for keyboard or guitar at my studio in 300 Carmichael Road, Brookfield. If getting to Tauranga is a problem, don't worry because we can do lessons via Skype.
To get further information give me a call. Click here for my contact details.